Before I begin, let me first apologize for what is to follow (#sorrynotsorry lol)…last night I went out with some friends and had this AMAZING shrimp basket with sweet potato fries and LORD HAVE MERCY it was sooooo good!! And the lightbulb went off…Grace your post for Monday should be all about food and drinks!! The Black culinary experience is definitely a space where we exude a great deal of Black Joy!!
There is such a rich history as it relates to the culinary world that you cannot talk about food and drink without bringing in the Black/African diaspora! So here we are!! As a budding foodie, wine lover, and restaurant experimenter, I knew one of these 30 days had to focus on the greatness of the Black culinary world. I have so many memories about my grandma’s cooking, trying fresh seafood in Australia, going to the vineyards in South Africa, my cousin Terry getting me my first drink on the Queen Mary, and being in second heaven while dining on some delicious steamed mussels and frites in Brussels.
Today’s Black Joy Moment is all about highlighting Black chefs, restaurants, mixologists, cookbooks, and anything to make your culinary senses go haywire!!
Notable Black Chefs/Bakers/Mixologists
- Tiffany-Anne Parkes- Pastry Chef/Creative and owner of Pienanny and A Seat Above The Table (Instagram: @pi.naan.ee)
- Bryan Ford- Bread Baker and author (Instagram: @artisanbryan)
- Arley Arrington- Baker and owner of Arley Cakes (Instagram: @arley.cakes)
- Nina Compton- Chef and owner of Compère Lapin and Bywater American Bistro in New Orleans (Instagram: @ninacompton)
- Tanya Holland- Chef, author, and owner of Brown Sugar Kitchen (Instagram: @mstanyaholland )
- Lazarus Lynch- Chef, author, and founder of the culinary brand Son of a Southern Chef (Instagram: @lazaruslynch)
- Ramona Jackson- Mixologist and founder of Bourbon Bohemian (Instagram: @thebourbonbohemian)
- Jermey Elliott- Mixologist/Bartender and co-owner of Double D’s Bar (Instagram: @jermeygelliott)
Black Culinary Documentaries/TV Series
- High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America (Netflix)
- Soul Food Junkies (PBS)
- Searching for Soul Food (Hulu)
- The Great Soul Food Cook-Off (Max)
- It’s CompiPlated (Max)
Featured Black Cookbooks
- Southern Cooking, Global Flavors ~Kenny Gilbert & Nan Kavanaugh
- Ghetto Gastro Presents… Black Power Kitchen ~Jon Gray, Pierre Serrao, and Lester Walker with Osayi Endolyn
- Everyone’s Table: Global Recipes for Modern Health ~Gregory Gourdet with JJ Goode
- Caribbean Vegan: Plant-Based, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion ~Taymer Mason
- Vibration Cooking Or, The Travel Notes of a Geechee Girl ~Vertamae Smart-Grosvenor
- 24 Black Chefs You Should Know (24/7 Wall St.)
- History of Black Bartenders/Mixologists (The Bitter Southerner)
- African American Chefs You Should Know (NMAAHC)
- 12 Essential Cookbooks By Black Chefs and Authors (Reviewed-USA Today)
- Serving Equality: Black Mixologists Making History (ReserveBar)
Stay hungry and thirsty my friends!!
See You Tomorrow!!