2020 was a year full of ups and downs, but one thing I can say is that I was able to get a lot of reading done [some through Audible too :-)]!! With each free moment that I was able to read something leisurely, I jumped at the opportunity. Prior to 2020, when I did read it was typically for research purposes. So to have the opportunity to just sit on my couch or my bed with a glass of wine, and/or cup of coffee/tea…well it was like second-heaven!!
Now with several of the books they did not necessarily get released in 2020, some were even repeat reads, but when it was all said and done these books kept me occupied for at least a few hours in the day!
So in no particular order, here is my Top 20 List of Books for 2020!!
- Children of Blood and Bone ~Tomi Adeyemi
- Children of Virtue and Vengeance ~Tomi Adeyemi
- Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good ~adrienne maree brown
- Lovecraft Country ~Matt Ruff
- The Secret Lives of Church Ladies ~Deesha Philyaw
- Sugar ~Bernice L. McFadden
- Little Fires Everywhere ~Celeste Ng
- Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot ~Mikki Kendall
- The Chiffon Trenches: A Memoir ~Andre Leon Talley
- Brown Girl Dreaming ~Jacqueline Woodson
- I Almost Forgot About You ~Terry McMillan
- The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games ~Ebony Elizabeth Thomas
- Making Our Way Home: The Great Migration and the Black American Dream ~Blair Imani
- We Want to do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom ~Bettina L. Love
- The Games Black Girls Play: Learning the Ropes from Double-Dutch to Hip-Hop ~Kyra D. Gaunt
- Distributed Blackness: African American Cybercultures ~Andre Brock, Jr.
- More Than Enough ~Elaine Welteroth
- Kindred ~Octavia Butler
- How to be an Antiracist ~Ibram X. Kendi
- The Yellow House ~Sarah M. Broom
What were some of your favorite books of 2020, and what’s on your list for 2021?!