Happy Monday!! Boy do I have some goodies to share with you all this week!! So let’s dive right on in:
- For all my ATL folks…The High Museum of Art is hosting the first museum survey dedicated to photographer Deana Lawson. From this global lens “working primarily in photography, Lawson investigates and challenges conventional representations of Black identities and bodies.” The Deanna Lawson exhibition opens on Oct. 7, for more details go to HighMuseum.org .
- The Dutch Government has created a fund to apologize for their historic role in slavery. From 1596 to 1829, the Dutch took part in transporting nearly a half a million Africans across the Atlantic Ocean. The fund is set to be announced after the nation officially apologizes for its role by the end of this year or the beginning of 2023. It is said that the fund may be as large as 200 million euros. Additionally, European Central Bank Governing Council member Klaas Knot, who is also president of the bank, addressed his apology to the descendants of enslaved people and set up a fund to finance projects worth 5 million euros over the next 10 years in the Netherlands, Suriname and the Caribbean.
- Ben & Jerry is rebranding their “Change is Brewing” flavor as a way to help protect voting rights and encourage young Black voter turnout ahead of the Nov. 8 midterm elections. The rebranded ice cream is being distributed at historically Black colleges and universities and in large cities and rural communities across Southern states as part of the Black Voters Matter Fund’s “We Won’t Black Down” tour, which kicked off Sept. 14.
- Michelle Obama Portraitist Amy Sherald is set unveil her first European show!! Sherald’s collection of paintings titled, The World We Make is set to be housed at Hauser & Wirth London from October 12 to December 23. Through her paintings, Sherald sees them as “a place to reflect. I want it to be as open, expansive and universal in a sense. I want my work to be a gift to Black people.”
- Meet Princess Isis Lang, the creator of the “Cardinal Divas” at the University of Southern California. Lang, is currently a musical theater major at the University of Southern California (USC), and the creator of the school’s first-ever majorette team. The Cardinal Divas made their formal debut at the USC vs. Fresno State football game on September 17th. As noted by Lang, “you can look forward to seeing us at these home games on the big screen, showing young Black girls that they can do anything that they think to do.”
- And lastly, just as the football season gets to rolling, we get some major news about Super Bowl LVII...Rihanna, with style and grace, has officially confirmed that she will be performing at Super Bowl LVII!! The 57th Super Bowl will take place on February 12, 2023, at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.