2021 Black Perspectives Summer Editorial Internship Program
Calling all Graduate Students and Rising Seniors!!
So I am all about sharing opportunities that not only provide meaningful experiences (personally and professionally), but can also build one’s network!!
Black Perspectives, the award-winning blog of the African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS), is currently accepting applications for our summer editorial internship program. The internship, which begins on June 1st and ends on August 31st, is open to graduate students and advanced undergraduate students (rising seniors only).“
I can personally co-sign on this great opportunity, as I served as Summer Editorial Intern while in my doctoral program. After participating in this program, I would quickly move up in the ranks becoming an Editorial Assistant, then to Assistant Editor for Black Perspectives and currently serving as secretary for the African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS).
So for those that may be interested, here is some more information about the internship program.
About the Internship
Interns will work closely with the blog editors on a part-time basis during the summer months and receive practical experience in academic blogging. Each intern will contribute to the publication of the blog in a variety of aspects including research, copy-editing, fact checking, formatting and publicity (via social media). Interns will receive a stipend and a complimentary one-year membership in AAIHS. The internship is virtual, which means that interns only need access to a computer and internet.
The 3-month internship also offers young scholars an opportunity to sharpen their writing skills and receive personalized feedback on their writing. It provides interns with access to a diverse network of early career bloggers (and professors), and the opportunity to publish their pieces on a popular academic blog.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited academic institution; graduate students (PhD and MA students) and advanced undergraduate students (rising seniors only).
- Preference will be given to candidates who major/specialize in History and/or African American Studies. However, we welcome applications from candidates in a variety of fields including English, Journalism, Political Science, Sociology, Women’s and Gender Studies, International Relations and America Studies.
- Must be motivated, detailed-oriented, and possess strong writing skills.
- Must have a strong knowledge base and keen interest in Black thought, history and culture.
- Must have an interest in public writing and social media.
- Must be interested in working with a diverse group of scholars who are passionate about Black thought, history, and culture.
- Must be willing to devote approximately 5 hours per week to assisting with the blog; and be willing to attend mandatory training sessions online (scheduled to take place in mid-to-late May).
Application Materials Needed
- A cover letter (please introduce yourself; explain why you’re interested in this opportunity; and highlight relevant skills and experience that make you an ideal candidate for the internship).
- A CV/Resume
- 5-10 page writing sample
- One recommendation letter from a professor/mentor. Applicants must arrange to have one recommendation letter submitted via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than April 1, 2021.
The application deadline is April 1, 2021 (11:59PM EST)
For additional information and where to apply, go here !! And please feel free to share with your networks!!