Let me tell you!! I am excited about this week’s Hot Topics!! I got some goodies on deck for you!! So much happening in the world!! Check it out below and see for yourself:
- Fresh off the press!! The new Black Panther: Wakanda Forever trailer just dropped and it is stunning!! It hits theaters November 11th! Tickets are on sale now, so make sure you grab yours…I got mine!! In addition to the trailer, check out this feature piece from EW as they go behind the scenes with director Ryan Coogler and the cast to discuss the sequel.
- And a special shout out to my alma mater Clark Atlanta University!! Just a few short days ago, CAU was been selected as the home of the New PROPEL Center, a global headquarters for innovation. It will serve as a global HBCU technology and innovation hub committed to strengthening the Black talent pipeline. The location is approximately 5.2 acres and will hold special historic and cultural significance to the CAU campus. As noted by CAU president George T. French, Jr., Ph.D., “Here at Clark Atlanta University, our leadership, faculty, and students are humbled to be a partner in the launch of the PROPEL Center and to have the opportunity to execute this long-term partnership.”
- Over across the pond there is a new arts group, the Africa Arts Collective, that is aiming to “showcase African artists and aid in community cohesion.” The Africa Arts Collective is a “new multi-disciplinary arts group aims to showcase African talent living in Northern Ireland, and aid community cohesion.” According to Rahim Saphy, an acrobat, dancer and comedian from Tanzania, “the Africa Arts Collective will bring joy, vibrancy, colour and inspiration to the local arts scene.”
- Oh and just in case you didn’t know October is Black History Month in the UK!! As part of the celebration, BlackHistoryMonth.org-UK has created a Black History Month Resource Packet ! Additionally, Seasoned BF (a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, “Flavoursome content about the Black British experience) has a BHM theme, “Gen:Black” [Celebrating Black British culture through the eyes of all generations] and flyer that they are sharing! The illustrator for this year’s theme is British Jamaican artist/illustrator Paris Anthony-Walker, check it out below:
- Over the weekend, Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson completed her formal swearing-in ceremony on Friday September 30th. As told by Brown Jackson during her initial confirmation speech, “It has taken 232 years and 115 prior appointments for a Black woman to be selected to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States. But we’ve made it…We’ve made it. All of us.”
- And closing out this week…A new medical school is being proposed at Morgan State University (Baltimore, MD), the first at an HBCU in 45 years!! As relayed by CBS News, Morgan State is teaming up with Ascension St. Agnes Hospital to launch a for-profit, private medical school, which will provide more opportunities for undeserving students. The school is set to open in 2024 and will have 700 students and 150 employees.